Monday, July 10, 2006

Ghetto blasters, phony jewels

This morning, I'm finally able to post something I've wanted to put up for a while now. Ever since I discovered that my FuckMan™ keeps a tally of every track's play count, I've thought it would make good blog fodder... just not good enough to mention more than once a quarter, because I'm not really all that self-absorbed.
Anyway, the first quarter is done and "in the can," as they say, and it's time to digest a passel of statistics.

Out of the 770 songs on the FuckMan™, the most played was Johnny Cash's cover of Sting's "I Hung My Head," with 12 spins. "Hurt," from the same album recieved 11, so it's been a Cash-addled spring for me. My favorite song off that album is his cover of Depeche Mode's "Personal Jesus."

The least played song was Tracy Lawrence's "Time Marches On," which went unplayed. Obviously, I can't comment on this, other than to say that it's not intentional. I play the FM on shuffle around 95% of the time, unless I get a particular song stuck in my head. Even then, it just takes a couple repeats and I'm able to move on.
Note that this also doesn't count the Chixie Dicks, who were snuck onto the FM as a prank. I never bothered to delete the handful of their songs because it feels so good skipping past them. Occasionally I even honor the event with a heartfelt "No soup for you!"

The median songs were "Independence Day," by Martina McBride and "Sensitive to Bees" by the Brothers Chaps of Homestar Runner fame. They had 4 spins each.

Hmmm... this recap is looking a heck of a lot more countrified than my playlist would seem. I should add / make up a few more stats to rig this post back to a "representative" snapshot. (you know, like the Census Bureau)

So, I'll mention that the newest song added was They Might Be Giants's's's "Experimental Film," because I watched a bunch of Homestar cartoons yesterday. Strong Sad & The Cheat put out probably the best possible video for this tune, and it's a sad comment on the music industry that they didn't win Video of the Year. Perhaps they should have shot someone, or had a sex scandal in the papers like the Bear Holding a Shark. Anyway, the song has been in my head all day, and I finally found it online tonight. I'd already chalked up 2 spins, before I went back to my typical 95% shuffle listening schedule.
I can't say that I have a favorite TMBG song, really. Practically all of them are good, but Istanbul annoys me because it doesn't mention that the original name of the city was Byzantium, or that the Turks changed the name to Istanbul when they invaded the city, sold most of the Christians into slavery, and started shouting "dirka dirka" all over the place. I guess it's harder than I thought to come up with rhymes for "jihad.'

The song I haven't heard in the longest time is (no, not "For the Longest Time," because that would be too easy... and creepy) "Video Killed The Radio Star," by The Buggles. It's entirely appropriate that this track holds the position, even if I would like to have heard it on a weekly basis.

The song I just finished listening to as I started writing the post is the 9th spin of Iron Maiden's "Duellists," from their Powerslave album, which is quite possibly my favorite metal album. "Aces High," is my favorite Maiden song, but "Flash of the Blade" has the best intro. If I start to feel depressed, I can usually be cheered up a bit by rationalizing that somewhere someone is teaching their kid to like Maiden by playing that intro.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home