Tuesday, February 08, 2005

The weather of the winter's on its way

More lateness ensues.

If my snot-addled brain is correct, I think there were about 4 days in the past 3 months that I haven't been a veritable fountain of snot. (as opposed to Wayne) Seriously. 4 days... tops.
Still, it could be worse... last week I honked up a load of nose goblin puree, and it was fucking ORANGE. In just the right light, it looked like Sunkist syrup, though to be fair it was really more of a half-finished jello sort of orange.

Of course, I've got better things to do today than gross some of you out... probably.

The occasion I do want to mark (or rather did... since this post is almost a week late) is the anniversary of a friend's contribution to my musical enlightenment. On Groundhog's Day 2003, my fellow Ocrisian and resident '80s guru Otak began his brief radio career amidst a passel of hipsters too cool for anyone's good. It took me about 3 weeks to learn about the webcasting of Atomics & Reaganomics, but once I did, I hardly ever missed a show.
It's due to the Otak that I learned about artists like Atom, Satch, and The Gimmies. I also became re-acquainted with Aimee Mann and New Order through his efforts. I doubt I ever really thanked him for that, so... thanks.

As most of these type stories tend to wind up, the salad days didn't last forever. Unfortunately the show became a victim of his own success, and despite zero publicity or listener complaints, Ota was booted from the station beceause he played music people wanted to hear. And they say college radio can help prepare you for a career in broadcasting... That's one hell of a business model you've got there boys.

All history aside, thanks for the good music Otak. I hope you get back on the air someday, you were better than you give yourself credit for.

Now if you'll excuse me, I've got six more weeks of hacking up V-8. Happy belated Groundhog's Day, everyone.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the kind words Hamm-san. I really enjoyed my show, but the drama just didn't make the sacrifice worth it anymore.

Credit for "discovering" those artists goes to the callers who requested them, however.
And yes, there were callers. There was that guy from the natural foods co-op... and those girls that would always request Emo... and as many as 4 other people. so THERE!
Sevi called once too... I played a song about baseball for him.

-Otak

9:03 AM, February 12, 2005  
Blogger di said...

Waitaminnit. So you're telling me Stewy and Otak are TWO DIFFERENT PEOPLE??? Geez, someone clue me in here!!!

2:48 AM, February 13, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home