Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Curse Sir Walter Raleigh

Dear Friends:

I'm sorry about the lack of posts recently. I'm prone to doing this sort of thing from time to time, and I've always felt like a shitheel for up and vanishing from the 'sphere. I owe (both of) you guys more than that.

So, what's up with Stew? As I said last week, I had most of a "where are we, and where are we going" post in my head that didn't want to get put into words... because those words hurt to write. Instead, I forced myself to write a happy post, and convince myself that I had a good day. And it was a good day, don't get me wrong. Good... but not really "blogworthy." You all know what that's like, I'm sure.
In the back of my mind, I thought I would take some time to ease into putting all this down on "paper" and keep posting other stuff in the interim. So far, that plan has spectacularly failed. Everything I've tried to write has been utter shit. Most of it didn't even survive past the first sentence. I know I've always been this way about blogging - it's the primary reason I post so infrequently. There are easily five times as many "abandoned" posts I've started than ever made it to the frontpage of the blog. But this isn't writer's block I'm talking about.

So why can't I turn even one of my ideas into a couple paragraphs of hacked text for your reading pleasure? I dunno... I'm tired, I guess. I haven't gotten much sleep lately - or ever really. On a good night I get four hours; typically I get half that. I used to get really jazzed from the blog - revitalized, if you will. But now, well... there's only so far that R. Kelly and Russell Crowe jokes can take a guy.

That's why I'm going to hang it up. I'm giving up blogging... or at least giving up pretending to blog.

Don't get me wrong, I've always loved the communities of people I met through blogging. The Big Blogger cyberhousemates, Rachy and the ObsDeck Aussies, Di and her Blogateers - you guys have kept me laughing when I found very little to laugh about elsewhere. You're family, you are. Fucked-up and dysfunctional, no doubt - but family nonetheless. I'll still make the occasional lameass wisecrack in your various comment pages, but from now on I no longer "have" a blog. Consider this a page of links to places that you might find me reading.

Thank you all for your friendship through the last two (or more) years. Thanks for the support, the humor, and the boobies. Thanks for reading. (you poor, poor bastards, you) But mostly, thanks for the friendship. Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to take a nap, mow my yard, and re-start Moby Dick.
Oh horseshit, who am I kidding? I should take two naps and let the rest of that crap slide for another week. Regardless...

Hugs,
Stew


4 Comments:

Blogger Hillbilly Mom said...

Well. I guess you showed us!

Drop by the Mansion every now and then. MY Mansion. Not Hef's.

7:57 PM, September 27, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sorry to see you go Stew. It's not easy coming up with shit to write about regularly. It is my opinion that unless you are a "mega talent" (and there are some out there) maintaining a blog on your own is excedeingly difficult.

Coming up with something at least every second day that was not the same as what you came up with the day before yesterday for us mortals is nigh on impossible.

I really do think community blogs are the way to go. Share the workload around.

If you ever do feel the urge to write something again, you will always have a home on It's A Matter Of Opinion.

Just say the word.

9:18 PM, September 30, 2006  
Blogger Stewed Hamm said...

Watch yourself Patrick, or I just might take you up on that offer. Regardless, if you ever find ObsDeck needing a tasteless joke, I'm your man.

Actually, scratch that. Tasteless jokes are a full-time affair with the group of commenters over there. (Jeez, what was I thinking??)

5:43 AM, October 01, 2006  
Blogger Rebecca said...

Keep well Stew, you know we will always have you back, if you decide to return.

Blogging is a blood hard thing to do. I feel at times like I am back producing television with the amount of work that goes into some posts.

HooRoo
Rebecca

9:07 PM, October 26, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home