Saturday, July 12, 2008

We're doing fine on the One and Nine line

What follows is another in my continuing (though recently absent) series of open letters I've written to various persons and groups.

I noted with interest that the RNC is soliciting input from us mere plebeians regarding the party's platform to be taken up at the convention this fall in Minnesota. After a cursory look at the major issues up for discussion, I sat down to write a thoughtful, informed, and thorough suggestion... with the intention of writing more on the various issues that are important to me and other Americans.

But, sadly, they're not interested in anything I have to say. There's a 1000 character limit on submissions, so only the much-derided John Edwardsy "bumper sticker" stuff gets through. Oh sure, I understand that they don't want some Truther wackjob to fill up the server with 85 pages of bong resin induced fantasy... but just shouting platitudes without bothering to back up your arguments is the kind of pathetic crap one would see on the internet. For Pete's sake, this is supposed to be a national political party discussing the direction in which our country should go, not a ridiculous blog talking about Brittney's cooter pics!

Ahem.

Be that as it may, I hereby reduce myself to their level, and post what should rightfully be residing in the RNC suggestion box - onto a ill-trafficked blog. Hell, at least this way someone will read it. Not that it matters, since the only choices we have in November are "Democrat and Democrattier."

Dear Republican National Committee:

It is absolutely ridiculous that we are burning food for fuel when we have untold billions of barrels of oil readily available and easily accessible to us on our own land. Land that the inhabitants thereof (such as there are) wholeheartedly want us to utilize to meet our energy needs. We need to drill, and drill now. We *know* where the oil is, all we have to do is go out and get it.

In the meantime, given that corn prices (and other agricultural products usable as fuel) are skyrocketing, can we take a serious look at curtailing subsidies - ESPECIALLY those for non-production. Why on earth are we paying people in Manhattan NOT to grow corn, when A) there's no farmland in Manhattan, and B) growing corn is pretty damned profitable right now, and only getting moreso as time goes on?

But raw production is not the only facet that needs to be addressed. We also need to reduce or eliminate the absolute stranglehold that the Federal government has over our nation's refining capacity.
No new oil refineries have been constructed in this country in years now. The temporary price spikes after hurricane Katrina should have taught us a lesson regarding our scarce refineries, but now that those post-Katrina prices are soon to be the daily prices nationwide, we have still done nothing.
This principle should also apply to nuclear power production as well. It is easy to raise the spectre of Chernobyl or Three Mile Island and dismiss nuclear power out of hand as unsafe, but those incidents are over 20 years ago. Computers took up entire rooms then, instead of carried them their hands. People used record players or reel-to-reel tapes rather than ipods smaller than a saltine. The technology we have available has improved dramatically, and is used extensively throughout Japan and Europe for clean, cheap, and readily available power production. If they can do it, why not America??

We cannot let this issue slide due to apathy, or let fears of global warming - a hotly contested theory, and one that has had several of its base assumptions proven false this past spring - cause us to abandon market principles, common sense, and our economic independence to communist or fascist nations whose true loyalties lie only with themselves.
As many wise men have noted, the engine of capitalism (and freedom) depends on the free flow of energy at market prices. So let's get the government out of the way and finally let it happen!

Sincerely, Stewed Hamm (or a reasonable facsimile thereof)

I should note here that I said I had plenty of other thoughtful, reasoned arguments to make on other issues. I do. If I get time, I might post them to the blog. (I understand that's what they're used for, when not otherwise occupied with cat pictures and bitching about movies) But I'm currently trying to find a job in this fabulous economy that Congress has led us to, and it's a full-time job all in itself. If you want to forward me a couple-three dollars, I'll hammer out a platform issue for you... but since you're in the same world economy I am, I doubt you've got it to spare. Not to worry though, if they come up in the course of comments to this or other posts, I'll give 'em a whirl.

And finally, a note to my regular reader(s):

Given that the blog is turning towards ongoing debates with a decidedly political bent, I should also announce that I have asymptotic patience for the Presidential race as Election Day approaches. As far as I'm concerned, it's Aliens vs. Predator: "Whoever wins, we lose."
As I've said before, I'm quite firmly behind my state and local candidates. The West Hammistani mayorial election is starting to heat up, with some great shenanigans happening late Thursday afternoon. I can't wait to see what happens next. (assuming I'm still living in Hammistan by November, that is)
So, what I'm trying to say is that I don't support either candidate for President. I don't support Ron Paul's inane hordelings or any of the other vote wastes either. Don't waste your time trying to persuade me to vote for your favorite horse/magical hopechange unicorn. I will delete out-of-hand any comments I deem to contain outright campaigning or spamming of stump speech points. You've been duly notified-itized.

I am, however, perfectly willing to entertain thoughtful, reasoned debate on whatever subject should arise - provided that you can conduct yourself like an adult.

Labels: , , , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Mommy Needs a Xanax said...

We NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEED a third party. I wish the Libertarians would produce a viable candidate.

7:44 PM, July 12, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home