Monday, September 20, 2004

Sweet Sounds Comin' Down...

On the Nightshift.

After working for a year at this particular job, I finally had the chance tonight to Restart the Server.™ Hoo-boy, is it ever fun going through other people's confusing and incomplete directions. Theseus never had it so good...

Rather than slogging through all the minutiae of the process, and how my version of the directions omitted a third of the steps, (not to mention the steps that were plain-ass wrong) I'll just say that if you're ever in the position of writing directions for someone else, be as specific as possible! Please don't assume I know anything about server maintenance, don't assume I know keyboard shortcuts to use when the damn mouse doesn't work... hell, don't even assume I know how to use any of the fancy technical gew-gaws inside that cramped, wire-infested room. Write those instructions like you're talking to a 5 year-old. And even then, you'd better cross your fingers.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not an addle-brained twit when it comes to technology, quite the opposite actually. As far back as I can remember, I've always been able to open child-proof bottles, and program VCRs. (without that VCR-Plus nonsense, to boot!)

Just don't assume I know what you're talking about. Lord knows I don't pretend that anyone understands what I ramble on about.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know exactly what you mean about working nights, man. Nobody from the "day world" has any clue what goes on, and they can't quite grasp the idea that we've got nobody to call if a little something goes wrong.

- the Otak

12:38 AM, December 20, 2004  

Post a Comment

<< Home