Thursday, September 16, 2004

What I am is what I am

It's an interesting exercise to ask someone what they are. It's a deceptively simple question on the surface, but one that very few people can answer to their own satisfaction. I cannot, in any good conscience, recommend trying it with someone you don't know well... Or can't outrun.
Because when Larry on the next barstool over says "I'm a 48 year old District Manager for Stuckey's," and you have to tell him that "That's not what you are... That's what you do." He's going to get ticked at you.

Maybe he'll come at you with a Pecan Log shiv or something... Who the hell knows with those Stuckey's guys?

So this being the One-th post, it seems reasonable for me to make at least a half-assed attempt to "Answer the Question" as Mr. McEnroe once said...
The simple answer is that I dunno. For now, I'm planning on taking it slowly. Weekly updates at best - no guarantees during finals week. What I can do is answer some of what it's not.
  1. Scottish. Absolutely nothing to do with the fine country of Scotland. A few generations back, a relative of mine got on a boat there and ended up here. But between my distant lineage, and Big Country lyrics, that's as close as I'll be getting.
  2. Soul, as in Music. I'm far far too white for that. It's like talking about Sizzler steakhouses with a Hindu: all theory, and no practical knowledge.

So where does "Scotland of the Soul" come from then? Good question. For the answer, I quote General Kenobi:

It's SHITE being Scottish! We're the lowest of the low. The scum of the fucking Earth! The most wretched miserable servile pathetic trash that was ever shat on by civilization. Some people hate the English. I don't. They're just wankers. We, on the other hand, are colonized by wankers. Can't even find a decent culture to get colonized by. We're ruled by effete assholes. It's a shite state of affairs to be in, Tommy, and all the fresh air in the world won't make any fucking difference!

Despite being a Grade-A potty-mouth, Rentz has pretty much summed up the way I feel whenever I get in a writing mood.

There ya go.

3 Comments:

Blogger di said...

I don't know who you are but you've commented twice on my blog and claim to have pictures so I'm assuming that I know you somehow. Either way, I think maybe I'm fascinated. Please write more than once a week. Thanks!

10:47 PM, September 16, 2004  
Blogger just me said...

Count me in as facinated too. Stucky's rocks!!!

10:59 PM, September 16, 2004  
Blogger Dew said...

I would counter your McGregor with a spot of Myers: "If it's not Scottish, it's CRRRRRRRRRAP!!!" SCOTLAND FOREVERRRRRR! Peace, brother. Write on!

12:32 AM, November 12, 2004  

Post a Comment

<< Home